Monday, August 5, 2013

Journey with God



Journey with God  

By Drew Couser, Class of 2013
Candler, North Carolina

Faithful is He that calleth you, who also will do it.  1 Thessalonians 5:24

            Have you ever questioned God’s existance?  I have.
            Throughout my childhood I questioned the existance of God. I grew up in a Seventh-day Adventist home. My dad worked for the Kentucky Conference as a pastor, so as you can tell, I had a Christian upbringing. Going to church every weekend became just a routine thing to me; it had no real meaning. I never really tried to pay attention to my dad’s sermons or focus on getting something from the service. My mind was always focused on different things.
            As the years passed I made the decision to stop going to church. Every aspect of church seemed pointless in my eyes. It was just a place to go and see friends. I started getting into trouble, developing bad habits, making bad decisions, and slacking in my school work. I was so wrapped up in all these distractions that I totally lost focus on God in my life and my purpose in God’s kingdom.
            However, I reached my breaking point! Everything finally hit me. It was mid summer going into my junior year at Mount Pisgah Academy. I became so sick of the way I was living my life: a life without purpose, without meaning, and a life without a future. So, I decided one weekend to attend a church in Asheville. I remember feeling nervous about plunging back into a church environment again. But something felt different that week.  After the service I remember feeling so spiritually “full.” I kept coming back and something in my mindset about church and God started to change in my head. Suddenly there seemed a need to read my Bible and pray. As I began to draw closer and closer to God I noticed that the desire to do the things of this world faded away.
            As I continue my walk with God, I am seeking to know Him more, and understand Him more. Applying God in my life was the best decision I have ever made. I struggle every day, but God is keeping me on the right path and pushing me to do more and be more for His name’s sake.
            So I urge you to keep pushing to seek God. He is always right there, just waiting on your invitation to be in your life completely. Seek Him!

2 comments: