Saturday, August 3, 2013

Music to My Ears



Music to My Ears

By Megan Robertson, Class of 2015
Candler, North Carolina

O come, let us sing unto the Lord: let us make a joyful noise to the Rock of our Salvation.  Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto Him with psalms. Psalm 95:1, 2

        I'm the type of person that can hear a song and start crying or get goosebumps just over the words. Music has always been a big deal to me, and I've loved it ever since I was little. I love listening to music, and I especially love singing! One of the definitions of music is: "The art or science of combining vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion."  Music brings out so many emotions in people. It can make a person sad, happy, mad, excited, inspired, and so much more! But for me, it is my way to connect to God and focus on Him. It is my favorite tool to use for worshipping and praising God.
        Just recently I got the opportunity to go to Prayer Conference at Camp Kulaqua. I had such a great time there and made so many memories and friends! The whole atmosphere and experience was amazing, but what really spoke to me was the music. Every day we had the privilege to enjoy and sing along with Southern Adventist University's praise team. They were amazing and picked the best variety of songs! Although I loved our speaker, Jackie James, I personally wished we could have just sung the whole time. I can't tell you how many times I got goosebumps when I heard that huge chapel ringing with music and praises to God! All the many harmonies and the fullness of all the voices joining together to worship spoke to me in ways I can't even explain!
            I believe that God has gifted me with the ability to sing, and after this experience, I am going to use my voice to glorify Him and Him only! Being in that environment helped me remember that God created us to worship and praise Him, and one of the ways we can do that is through song. If you are the type of person that loves music and is impacted by it, then I want to challenge you to try something new. Next time you have a devotion, start it out by listening to one of your favorite Christian songs, and just think about what it means to you and how it could apply to your life. Another thing you could try, would be to just spend some alone time with God listening and singing along to music. You never know what blessing you could get out of it.
                    "Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from Heaven to the soul."


No comments:

Post a Comment