Thursday, June 27, 2013

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff



Don’t Sweat
the Small Stuff

By Kayla Pelle, Class of 2014
York, South Carolina

Let the King be enthralled by your beauty; honor Him, for He is your Lord. Psalm 45:11

            I find myself constantly worrying about a lot of different things that might have happened during the day, or about something that is to come. I find myself doing this more and more when I’m not willing to just let the burdens go. I will never understand why I hold on to such worthless things. No problem in the world is too big for God, and I know that He can heal me and break every chain. Doesn’t it seem so crazy that we are always forgetting that? Forgetting the only thing that can heal us from the inside out, and that’s His unending love for us--His uncomprehending and perfect love.
            I’ve always been a people pleaser. I have a bad case of OPA, which stands for “other people’s assessments.” I’m always worried about what everyone else thinks of me. If one person is not happy with me it can completely change how I am feeling that day. THAT is PITIFUL! I started to realize that I’m never going to make everyone happy with me, so trying to please everyone will not bring me peace or joy. It will only make me worry more, and cause me to be upset with myself. Shouldn’t God be the only one we should be worried about pleasing? Was I really trying to help other people, or was it just for the satisfaction and security of myself? I know that it was only for me.
            But I’ve eventually learned that I don’t need to please other people. Not everyone has to be happy with me, because I’m not perfect. When I focus on what God thinks of me and find my confidence and strength in Christ, then I won’t feel the need to please others. I will stop worrying about other people’s assessments of me. I will then begin to only think about the promise God gave me, which is if I’m relying on Him, and putting my trust in Him, everything will fall in to place. I don’t need to worry about other people’s opinions of me because the only important thing to me is to be happy with myself, the girl that God has created me to be.
            His word tells me that I am ENTHRALLING, and that the King is enthralled by my beauty. How reassuring to know that the Maker and Creator of the universe says that I’m wonderful! He knows me and every mistake I’ve made, and will make, and He STILL wants me. When I remind myself of this I know that I want to honor Him, and put my full trust and faith in Him because He is my Lord.         

No comments:

Post a Comment