Friday, June 28, 2013

Showing God's Character



Showing God’s Character

By Luke Vaughan, Class of 2014
Candler, North Carolina

In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven. Matthew 5:16

            During the last two summers, I have had the privilege of working with the Mount Pisgah Academy Recruiting Team. I knew this was the job I wanted because I love my school and wanted others to know about it. I want to share God’s love with everyone. And I was able to share a lot with the people around me. What I didn’t expect is how much they would share with me.
            In the summer we spend most of our time helping out with Vacation Bible Schools (VBS). I had never worked with little kids before, so I did not know what to expect. But by the end of the first summer, I learned that I really enjoy working with them. After all, I was little not too long ago.
            The first week, we went to Kernersville, North Carolina. When we arrived, the church members greeted us warmly. They made us a delicious meal and were very friendly to all of us. It felt great to be treated with such kindness. I could tell they all had Jesus in their hearts. Right away, I loved Kernersville.
            I was assigned to be the leader of a group of very energetic kids. I wondered if I would be up to the task. I struggled for a bit, but after a while my inner child really came out and I had a blast with them! They were all hilarious! I saw Jesus through them just as I did with everyone else.
            At the end of the week, I looked back on it and realized how much fun it had been. I felt something warm and calming inside me. I knew this was Jesus working in my life. I grew a lot closer to God after this experience – all because of the church’s kindness to me! Their love for the Lord had spread to me.
            Jesus is amazing. When He comes in and possesses someone’s heart, He not only changes that person, but He changes the people surrounding them. I pray every day that Jesus will come into my heart. I want to shine out His light to others, just like those awesome church members showed His light to me!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment