Monday, June 10, 2013

Lost in Walmart



Lost in Walmart



 By Todd Norton, Class of 2013
Columbia, South Carolina

For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost. Luke  19:10

            My mom and I were on a shopping trip to Walmart.  I was about four years old and I remember asking her if she could buy me a toy, but she said, “No.”  I was terribly disappointed.
            As I walked through the store with my mom, she began getting things she needed for our home, which I thought were useless. “I just want that toy,” I thought to myself. After a couple more agonizing minutes, I decided I would just go see it. So while my mom was deciding what brand of milk to buy, I saw my chance to escape! I silently slipped away and began my journey to the toy section.
            “Yes!” I thought to myself. The agony of “adult shopping” was over and I was on my way to the toy I was longing for. When I finally got there, it felt so sweet to set my eyes on it. I wanted it so badly! But I knew I couldn’t get it. My mom had already made her decision. I was so mad, but there was nothing I could do about it. I decided that I would head back to the dairy section to find my mom. As I was walking back, I realized that she probably wouldn’t be there anymore. I began to panic. “I lost her!” I said to myself.  I picked up my speed as I eagerly wondered if she’d still be there.  She wasn’t.
            My breath was caught in my lungs and I was about to cry. I couldn’t cry though, because there were too many people around. This was the worst thing in the world for me. I was a Momma’s Boy. I began to think that I wouldn’t ever see her again and that scared me even more!  I’d seen situations like this in movies, where kids would go to an employee and call their mom over the intercom. I really didn’t want to do that, but clearly I had no choice. I began to hastily walk toward the front of the store where the workers were, but all of a sudden there she was -- looking for me, with panic written all over her face.
            I learned a valuble lesson that day: stay close to mom.  But in the years since then, the following analogy has been meaningful to me.  Even if I think I may be hopelessly lost, Jesus cares for me and will find me.  He can find us anywhere.  But when I look for Him, too, I can find happiness a lot faster. May we each seek Jesus and stay close to Him forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment