Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The People You Don't Want to See



The People You Don't
Want to See

By Austin von Henner, Class of 2013
Candler, North Carolina

You will always have the poor among you,
but you will not always have Me. John 12:8

            Hobos, oh how I wish to never be around them. Little did I ever imagine that I would go to the hub central of homeless people at large!
            A few years ago Mount Pisgah Academy decided that all students needed to be involved in a mission trip.  We were presented with many options of various distances and costs.  I didn’t choose to go to Mexico.  I certainly didn't want to go on the African choice because homeless Americans live like kings compared to them. So naturally, I chose to go to Portland, Oregon, where we would learn about and help the homeless.
            I didn't have a whole lot of my friends going on this journey. In fact, I was very bored the whole trip. I also didn't get any sleep, because I was next to one of the most "interesting" seniors who talked nonstop across the country.  As a result, I was miserable and didn’t arrive with the best attitude. 
            We eventually made it to the house where we would be staying for the duration of the trip. The house was very old, and the bathrooms were unspeakably horrific. Someone even clogged the toilet upstairs and it flooded all the way downstairs. So the house didn't exactly smell like a patch of wild flowers.
            We woke up early and had a pretty good breakfast. However, it didn't change my opinion of the trip unfortunately. In fact, as part of the “homeless experience” we had to go around everywhere with a trash bag after sleeping in another old building with no beds to feel "one" with the "homeless." We were given only one dollar to use for our lunch.
            After a day of “being homeless” we helped the homeless. The first time I went out of my way to give money to a homeless person I was very disappointed, because the man took the money and didn't even say thank you. As a result, I really didn't want to be in Portland any longer.
            On our final day there, as we met under a big bridge, I was put on hot chocolate duty for the meal. During that time, I was thanked multiple times and had genuine conversations that will never leave me. It made the whole trip change over a matter of hours for me. I'm sure it also did for the rest of the people, as well.
            God can make anything good if we will let Him work through us.  I’m so glad He is patient with us.  Go ahead and count your blessings.  I’m sure you will see where He has helped you be a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment