Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Connecting with God



Connecting with God



By Gabriela Martínez, Class of 2014
San Juan, Puerto Rico

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares The Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:11-13

            I was at a time in my life when I felt like I was not giving God my all.  There was a part inside that, for whatever the reason, I would keep to myself.  I had to realize that this would affect my life in the future.
            This became evident when I went to a summer camp last year.  There, all my problems, personal conflicts, and such became very vivid to me.  It was as if God wanted to make things clear to me.  I remember one day, the pastor said something that hit me hard.  I had enjoyed the messages from this preacher all week, but something he said during this particular sermon just struck me.  He said: "The problem is that we don't have faith in God, because if we did, we wouldn't be worrying so much, and we would have just given it all to God." 
            I remember that night he gave a powerful testimony, and in the end, with all of us crying, we bowed down to God.  I apologized to Him and told Him I would give Him my all, including all my worries.  I asked Him to break the chains that bound me.  And in that moment I made a connection with God, and He delivered me.  This happened when I looked for God truly.  It can be hard, but if we hang on to His promises and have faith, we can be certain that He will always deliver us, no matter what.  Having a relationship with Jesus is more than just praying to Him and reading the Bible without ever really having any type of connection or any kind of trust.  If we want a true relationship with God it has to start by trusting Him fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment