Wednesday, July 24, 2013

My Own Little Angel



My Own Little Angel

By Viviana Hernandez, Class of 2014
Burlington, North Carolina

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and though the
mountains be carried into the midst of the sea… Psalms 46:1, 2

            My youngest sister, Tracy Tonya, is diagnosed with Rett syndrome and autism. She was diagnosed at eight months old. She started showing signs of autism when she was two years old and Rett syndrome when she was six. Rett Syndrome isn’t as well-known as autism. It is caused by genes mixing up, and it’s more prominent in females. As a result, her mind is set at age one and under. She can't talk, eat, communicate, or do anything on her own. Tracy is afraid of loud noises and gets anxious or nervous easily. She also has seizures once in a while. However, as my sister grows, the doctors said fewer seizures will occur. One day though, she even had thirty seizures. We have her on medication and take very good care of her. At eight or nine years of age, we also found out she had diabetes. So, we have to keep an eye on her at all times.
            My family and I have been through a tough time. We've suffered just as much as Tracy has. At first, my father didn't want to accept what the doctors said. We, especially my parents, felt like we had been let down. I would always try my best to help my parents out with whatever they needed, but day-to-day living was always overwhelming. Everyone and everything was pushed away, including God. For me, it was like God never existed, I felt like it was His entire fault. I just didn't care anymore. Finally, one day we just had to accept the fact that she was going to be like that forever. To say “forever” hurts, because I've always prayed, wished, and hoped that a miracle would happen. If she were to say at least one word, I would feel so happy and content. But I'm not going to lose hope!
            At the beginning of my sophomore year, I was invited to go to Mount Pisgah Academy. My outlook on our lives has really changed. I realized that not only does God exist, but that my baby sister is loved by Him too.  When Jesus returns, He will make her whole -- and we will be able to talk and laugh together.  Until then, she will be my little angel sister.  And God will be by our sides throughout our trials.  And now I can truly say, I'm blessed to have her as my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment