Thursday, July 25, 2013

His Yoke is Easy and His Burden is Light



His Yoke is Easy and
His Burden is Light

By Andrea Sequera, Class of 2014
Columbia, South Carolina

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.       Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For
My yoke is easy and My burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30

            When the first semester of my junior year came around, I was not prepared for how hard it was going to be. My sophomore year had been great, and even though I knew that junior year was going to be tough, I was not ready. Between my classes, extracurricular activities, and being an RA (resident assistant to the dean), stress started to pile on. I would put myself down when I did not reach my own expectations. To top it off, my spiritual life was not doing so great.  A friend then introduced me to a devotional called Jesus Calling. It was amazing! This devotional is really cool because it is written in first person, as if Jesus were talking to me.  Bible verses are included at the end of each devotional. This book helped me to see Jesus in a more intimate way. From then on I started to learn to give my troubles more fully to Jesus and to depend on the promises of His word. I felt peace in my heart knowing that I was not alone. Jesus knew the stress that I felt and He wanted to take my burden and give me His, because His burden is light.
            Jesus desperately wants to tell us how much He cares about the burdens in our lives through His promises. His promises give hope, relief, encouragement, and love. He knows what weighs us down better than anyone else. He is more than willing to help us. In fact, that is exactly why we have stressful times. He knew that one day, we would read those promises and take comfort in them. So, do not hesitate any longer; claim His promises!

No comments:

Post a Comment