Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Woman Who Loved to Sing



The Woman
Who Loved to Sing

By Peter Siviglia, Class of 2014
Harrisburg, North Carolina

The Lord is my strength and song; and He has become my salvation;
He is my God, and I will praise Him; My father's God, and
I will exalt Him. Exodus 15:2

            Last year, I got the chance to tour with the Mount Pisgah Academy drama team. Our destination: Charlotte, North Carolina, a twenty minute drive from my home! I was so excited to tour so close to home! We performed at ACA (Adventist Christian Academy) and had a wonderful time with their students.  That Sabbath we attend the Sharon SDA Church and hosted Sabbath School there. 
            After lunch we were invited to go to a nursing home and sing with the residents and interact with them for an hour or so. Once our group got there, we were partnered up with a resident.
            My partner was a lady named Rose, and from what I could understand (the poor lady didn’t have teeth) her parents were from Zimbabwe and her father was a pastor. I thought to myself "Wow, how cool is that?" But then she started chanting something, and began to stand up. The next thing I know, she's clapping and singing, and everyone is joining in on it! This woman loved to sing, not just any song, but songs about God.
            This experience has shown me that I should not be afraid of what others think of me when I sing praises about God. And Rose, she was a prime example of that, regardless of her age. Every day I wonder, "Why can't I be like that?" Music is a powerful way to a person's heart, and I think we should never miss an opportunity to spread God's amazing love through music!

No comments:

Post a Comment