Saturday, July 27, 2013

Path to Heaven



Path to Heaven


By Lisa Cho, Class of 2014
Seoul, South Korea

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to
prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Jeremiah 29:11

            As a child, I grew up believing in Buddhism because my whole family was Buddhist. I had to go to a Buddhist temple every weekend with my grandparents. Every time I asked my grandmother about God, she always told me that God is not true and the bible is just a perfect story that one smart guy made up. So every time I would see people who go to church, I thought they were crazy and just wasting their time.  Also, I wouldn’t hang around with people who read a bible or talked about God in front of me.
            When I was in middle school, my friends told me to go to church on Sunday with them, convincing me by telling me that there were a lot of cute guys in that church. Since I never saw any cute guys in the Buddhist temple, I went to Sunday church for the first time. I didn’t know anything about God and had no clue what a Christian church looked like. At first, it seemed weird and boring, but after several months of attending and getting to know more about God, I started to wonder if God really did exist. My cousin told me that I was crazy going to church every weekend, but I felt something was really leading me to go to church.
            After several years, I heard about Mount Pisgah Academy and made a hard decision to leave South Korea and move all the way to North Carolina to attend there. When I first came to Pisgah, I was shocked and surprised. I have never seen a school like this! Everyone was a true Christian believer and prayed to God everywhere they went. The one thing I was most shocked about was that there were a lot of differences between the Sunday churches and Seventh-day Adventist church. I have been studying at Pisgah about two years and I have learned a lot about God. I have also learned about kindness, friendship, and peacefulness. Mount Pisgah has done a lot for me and has given me a new life. Whenever I think back about how I became a Christian after being a non-Christian, I feel God helped me find the right path to heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment