Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Little Lower than Angels



Little Lower Than Angels


By David Feist, Class of 2014
Kernersville, North Carolina

For Thou hast made man a little lower than the angels, and hast
crowned him with glory and honour. Psalm 8:5

            Have you ever felt really down on yourself? Felt depressed, tired, and worthless? Think that there is no purpose to life and that you are so insignificant that even God has abandoned you? I felt this way frequently when I was around the age of twelve years old. I felt that I was nothing more than another animal roaming this earth and that I would never contribute anything of worth to this planet, let alone in the eyes of a perfect deity, to whom "even your greatest works are as filthy rags." How could I embrace life feeling so insignificant and filthy? Many dark thoughts began to come to my mind, making me feel even less like a significant human, and more like just another beast that roams on all fours. I kept asking God for answers to questions that are impossible to explain.
            "If you love your children so much, why have we come this far?" I screamed into the air. "Why is it that there is so much pain under your ‘loving’ reign? Why do you allow people to suffer so much? Is there no justice under the sky?"
            This kind of attitude towards God stayed with me for the next few years.  But as I grew older I began to see and understand more.  I see now that not everything is that painful. Not everyone suffers. And though God may often seem silent, He works in very strange ways to find an outcome that suits His plan. The fact that you are on this beautiful earth means that you are a part of His plan -- that you are significant for something or someone. You might never be the new Einstein and you may never make your way into the history books. But, to someone close to you, your life can make all the difference in theirs.
            We are special in God's eyes.  We were created not only a little below angels, but in His own divine image! How then, can we feel as though we are not special and worth something to Him? God has taken so much care in creating us. 
            When I think of the troubles of this world, I think about what my dad used to always tell me, "Son, don't sweat the little stuff, and trust me, its ALL little stuff."


No comments:

Post a Comment