Monday, July 29, 2013

Shelter In the Storm



Shelter In The Storm

By Jessica Purple, Class of 2014
Candler, North Carolina

For in the day of trouble He will keep me safe in His dwelling;
He will hide me in the shelter of His tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock. Psalm 27:5

            When I was about six years old, I lived in Michigan.  During the summer my entire family went to camp meeting on Great Lakes Adventist Academy’s campus. Although my least favorite part was the meetings, playing outside with my friends was my favorite.  One day, I decided to skip the meetings altogether. I knew my mom would be upset, but I wasn't thinking about it. I just wanted to be outside having fun.
            My friend and I stayed out all day and we decided to go back to our rooms when we thought it was getting dark. We saw the sky slowly turn grey and purple and noticed there was no one to be found. We checked the time and it wasn't even close to sundown. We got scared and parted ways.
            I searched but I couldn't find anyone.  The place looked abandoned.  I didn't know what to do.  Then, seemingly out of nowhere, my mom swept me up and took me downstairs. There, I learned that we were having a tornado watch and everyone was taking cover.
            It turned out that the tornado went entirely around the camp ground and never hurt anything or anyone around campus. The feeling of God’s protection surrounded me.
            I am thankful for that experience because I learned that no matter what people are thinking at the moment, God is thinking of us every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment