Friday, July 19, 2013

His Name, Mighty to Save



His Name, Mighty to Save

By Andrew Johnson, Class of 2013
Johnson City, Tennessee

Be my strong habitation, to which I may continually resort: You have given  the commandment to save me; for You are my rock and my fortress. 
Psalm 71:3

            I was in 5th or 6th grade in a private Christian school when something strange happened to me. The teacher had asked me to read a passage from the Bible to complete an assignment. The passage was from the book of Psalms. I wanted to follow directions immediately because I enjoyed reading the Bible more than anything else, but today I could not. I typically would read the Bible because God impressed me to do so every day.  But today I just didn’t feel like it.
            I did not understand why I had bad feelings, it was confusing why I could not follow directions; school was usually wonderful. The teacher continued asking me to read the Bible, several times, but something kept me from touching the Word; I know now that it was the devil. The teacher did not understand why I was having a bad day. She could see the frustration in my face, assuming the most likely reason, he must be tired.  But when she asked me about it, I just couldn’t explain my feelings.
            The teacher said she would give me some time to read on my own at my desk, but instead I went to the farthest window in the classroom.  I needed a change of scenery. As I peered through the glass I wished the emotional pain would go away. I wanted to be unnoticed, and go far from the other students to pray without fear. While standing in front of the window, I searched for the words to pray, but what words would be pleasing to the Lord, I asked myself; I was speechless. Realizing that I could just share my heart with the Lord, I started to cry, and I knew His name was mighty to save. So, I whispered, "Jesus."  That’s when I realized that His name is the most beautiful word -- no other words were needed right then.
            An unprecedented feeling of peace took away the pain. I had never before experienced such peace...God's power (which can destroy the devil’s influence over me).  I thanked God while containing the excitement of my joyous heart, because I didn’t want anyone to notice I had been crying. His name is beautiful, His name is mighty to save. Cry to Him in your time of need.


No comments:

Post a Comment